Print Page  |  Contact Us  |  Your Cart  |  Sign In  |  Register
Spending the few $$
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

9/9/2010 at 11:06:34 PM GMT
Spending the few $$
Something my colleague and I have decided for this year is to spend our budget dollars, when possible, with vendors that exhibit at MASL. We discussed it and decided that it would be best for us to support those who are helping to support MASL. We will also only make appointments with sales reps from those companies. We are spending less of our time on sales appointments.  Not sure this fits in the category of "best" practice - but it is something we are doing.

Maggie Newbold
MASL Past President 2010-2011

9/16/2010 at 8:15:32 PM GMT
RE: Spending the few $$
M. Newbold (Connell) said:
Something my colleague and I have decided for this year is to spend our budget dollars, when possible, with vendors that exhibit at MASL. We discussed it and decided that it would be best for us to support those who are helping to support MASL. We will also only make appointments with sales reps from those companies. We are spending less of our time on sales appointments.  Not sure this fits in the category of "best" practice - but it is something we are doing.

Maggie, thanks for this interesting little idea. You are leveraging your dollars in ways that keep working for MASL which keeps working for school librarians who keep working for Missouri students. Good work!

Pat
MASL President

Patricia Antrim
MASL Past President 2011-2012
University of Central Missouri
Warrensburg, MO 64093
Phone (660) 543-8633
Fax (660) 543-4164
antrim@ucmo.edu

9/20/2010 at 5:54:51 PM GMT
Maggie, I like this idea as well.  I agree that it will cut down on the additional phone calls.

Robin Reich
Librarian
Grandview Senior High School
2300 High Grove Road
Grandview, MO 64030
816-316-5809

11/8/2010 at 1:49:43 AM GMT
Reader's Award
I would still like to find a book company that will give MASL a direct percentage for purchasing the Reader Award nominees.  I spend about $1500.00 (or more) a year on all four categories.  The book companies are benefitting from us promoting these books, and the awards programs struggle with budgets.  There has to be a distributor or retailer somewhere who will work with us.   

Barnes and Noble and Follett are not interested in this at all.  I talked the owner of Main Street Books in St. Charles and the idea scared her, the volume and shipping seemed to be too intimidating.  

If I owned a book store, I would be at MASL, and I would be offering a sweet deal to all the librarians: a great price and a MASL Reader Award straight percentage.    There has to be willing partner in the state somewhere.

-Barry

Barry Crook
Wydown Middle School

11/9/2010 at 7:12:20 PM GMT

I know you have talked about this before and I find the idea very interesting. I wonder if Puddin Head Books in Webster Groves would be interested - at least for those schools on this side of the state.

Maggie Newbold

12/9/2010 at 3:25:53 PM GMT
Main Street Books owner is interested in establishing a partnership along with Puddnhead.

Barry Crook
Wydown Middle School

12/10/2010 at 8:26:25 PM GMT
I would definitely be one that would invest money into a MO based company that provides the reader award books at a discounted cost.  This year more than a quarter of my total budget (including supplies, travel, and periodicals) will be spent on copies of these titles.  Thanks for this info, Barry! 

Jenn Baldwin
Jasper R-5
K-12 Library

2/4/2011 at 3:00:02 PM GMT
Is there a list of MASL vendors available?

2/7/2011 at 3:24:06 PM GMT
Vendors that support MASL

I don't know of any list other than the list of vendors printed in the Spring Conference Program. If one doesn't attend Spring Conference, I can't think of any listing we have that members could refer to. This may be something that we need to think about.

Maggie Newbold

Community Search
Sign In
Sign In securely
Calendar

12/19/2017
New Librarian Webinar Series

1/16/2018

2/20/2018