2016 MASL Fall Professional Development Day
Saturday, October 29, 2016
Missouri State Capitol
Jefferson City, MO
9:00 – 9:30 a.m. Light Breakfast & Registration
9:30 – 10:30 a.m. Keynote Address: STEAM Amy Koester (Handout)
10:30 – 10:45 a.m. Break
10:45 – 11:45 a.m. Breakout Sessions
1. Amy Koester (mock awards - Caldecott & Newbery Handouts)
2. Megan Bright (Library Trends)
3. Dr. Gail Staines & Debbie Musselman (Grant Session #1)
11:45 – 12:00 p.m. Break
12:00 – 1:00 p.m. Lunch - ELA Implementation Presentation by Lisa Scroggs & Debbie Jameson of DESE
1:00 – 2:00 p.m. Breakout Sessions
1. Show Me & Truman Readers Awards
2. Mark Twain & Gateway Readers Awards
3. Panel (Grant Session #2)
2:00 – 2:15 p.m. Break
2:15 – 3:15 p.m. Breakout Sessions
1. 2017 Spring Conference Committee Session
2. Tom Bober (LC resources)
3. Work Session (Grant Session #3)
3:15 p.m. Event Concludes
Breakout Sessions #1
1. Mock Awards (Amy Koester)
2. Library Trends (Megan Bright)
What’s coming next in the field of children’s librarianship? Come learn about the four largest potential growth areas according to an ALA research team and share ideas about how to make sure your library is leading the way!
3. Grant Session #1 will feature Dr. Gail Staines from University of Central Missouri, and Debbie Musselman from the Missouri State Library will be discussing how to find grants - where to look, organizations that offer funds to libraries, etc. You can find bios for Gail and Debbie below.
Breakout Sessions #2
1. Readers Awards Session A (see below)
2. Readers Awards Session B (see below)
3. Grant Session #2 will feature Dr. Staines, Debbie Musselman, Rene Burress and Kerry Townsand on a panel where audience members can ask anything grant related. All four members have either grant writing or grant “grading” experience, or both! Please complete a quick survey (grade levels you serve and questions you might have) if you plan on attending the panel.
Breakout Session #2
(actual room numbers TBD)
(actual room numbers TBD)
SHOW ME (1ST-3RD)
· Pat Williams
· Julie Jamieson
· Christie Brown
MARK TWAIN (4TH-6TH)
Handout 1, Handout 2, Handout 3 & Handout 4
· Kirsten Shaw
· Megan Nieland
. Melissa Ray
· Angie Wiegers
· Jessi Menold.
Breakout Sessions #3
1. 2017 Spring Conference Committee Meeting
2. Primary Sources (Tom Bober)
Primary sources - digitized primary sources and supporting educator resources on the Library of Congress website
3. Grant Session #3 will be a work session where attendees can delve into what you’ve just learned – searching for available grants, and maybe even starting an application. Gail, Debbie and Kerry will be available roaming the room to help and assist you as needed.
Members - $50
Non-Members - $75
Bring a Non-Member Colleague - $90 (includes both member & guest registration)
Click here to register!
Available parking options, including rates and time limits, can be found by clicking on this map.